Thursday 27 March 2008

Blast From The Past - Sinéad O'Connor - Troy

My lordy I've just rediscovered Sinéad in an almighty head-on collision with the genius that is Troy (1987). God this has to be one of the greatest songs ever written. Truely hauntingly beautiful and spiritualy venomous. I just love those strings as well, you know it's the little things. I can't stop playing it now - that's me for the near future I think. John Maybury directs this extremely powerful video, capturing O'connor's emotional turmoil wonderfully. The video (as is his one for Nothing Compares 2 U) is in a style reminiscent of left of field cult directors Derek Jarman or Peter Christopherson. Maybury went on to direct movies such as 2005's The Jacket with Adrian Brody and Keira Knightley. There are also several dance remixes of Troy around but nothing compares to the total passion and pain of the original. Only genuine gifted magickal artists are able to leave themselves so open, (and literally naked in this video), by writing songs as personal as this. I can only think of Nine Inch Nails' Hurt as a recent example. It is pure alchemical healing in a higher state of consciousness and here is an equally enthusiastic and intimate accoustic version if you require cathartic seconds... My mouth remains unhinged in wonder, respect and reverence.

No comments: